- Our Community
- About Parker
- City of Parker Plaques, Photos and Markers
City of Parker Plaques, Photos and Markers
William C. Parker - June 6, 1836 - May 12, 1898
Parker Cotton Gin Marker
T. L. Johnson Store
Thomas L. Johnson opened and operated a store located on the north side of Parker Road in the 1880's when the population of Parker was about 50. The store sat east of the current Corinth Presbyterian Church, separated by what is now called Church Road. The store was two stories with a room on the east side of the building serving as the lodge of the modern Woodmen of America. Next to the lodge was a barber shop. The post office which opened in 1888 and closed in 1900 was located in the back of the store.
Mildred Corzine Gatlin loved to visit the store when she visited her grandfather, W. E. Edens. She specified the store had everything a home might use in those days including buggy whips, wash tubs, rubbing boards, coal oil lamps, lanterns and dry goods.
Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Gatlin bought and ran the store in 1919, then in 1930, The Gatlins tore down the Johnson Store and erected a new store in its place. According to Joe Curtis, J. L. Gatlin ran the store for a number of years. In the 1960's the store stood abandoned and was town down when Parker Road was expanded. - Property of Collin County Historical Commission 2017